The “paleo” diet has certainly gained popularity, but for many it’s just a name in a sea of diet options. The folks at Criticalbench put together an incredible video explaining the protocol and offering some great tips on how to get started.
The Goal of the Paleo Diet
The idea of the paleo diet is that people were constantly moving, hunting, and gathering. They adapted their diets and behaviors around a constant state of conflict. Today’s diets include quite a number of additional “staples” that are not nearly as close to the earth. The end result is higher instances of diabetes, heart disease, and other illnesses.
What Foods Are Part of A Paleo Diet
The paleo diet is inspired by the foods eaten during the paleolithic period, which lasted for about 2.5 million years. The diet includes an array of lean meats, a variety of fishes, organic fruits and vegetables, and different nuts and seeds – generally anything that can be found or grown in the earth.
Foods to Eat on a Paleo Diet
- A variety of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Nuts and seeds
- Oils that come from nuts and fruits (no refined oils)
- Grass-fed or wild meats, preferably lean
- Fishes rich in omega-3 fatty acids (tuna, salmon, etc)
Foods to Avoid on a Paleo Diet
- Sugars (refined, white)
- White starches (like potatoes)
- Beans (lentils, peanuts, peas, etc)
- Processed foods
A Day On A Paleo Diet
Believe it or not, adjusting to the paleo lifestyle doesn’t take a lot of effort. Start simple and add a wider variety of foods as you progress. An example diet might look like this:
- Breakfast: Fresh fruit and broiled fish.
- Lunch: A green salad with carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, almonds, onions, and lemon juice served with a side of broiled pork.
- Dinner: Another salad, lean roast beef, steam vegetables (like broccoli), and fresh berries for dessert.
- Snacks: Celery or carrot sticks; or an orange
The paleo diet contains all of the elements of a healthy eating plan – fruits, vegetables, proteins, and healthy fats. While legumes and grains are considered a good source of fiber and other nutrients, they can also be found in the foods on the list. The same goes for calcium and protein present in dairy products. Eat a balanced diet that spans a variety of food groups and you shouldn’t have any problems meeting your nutritional needs.